Abundant Life Baptist Church began as Allison Avenue Baptist Church in Washington in 1902. The first church was comprised of 23 members of the First Baptist Church and 34 other persons. It was early in 1901 that Rev. Stephen Drummond and Mr. M.C. Treat of the First Baptist Church became interested in reaching out to the Tylerdale community. Members of the church began holding prayer meetings in their homes, and eventually a Sunday School was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Zimmerman.
In June 1901 Mr. Treat purchased two parcels of land at the corner of Allison and Maple Avenues, and built a chapel, called Tylerdale Mission. Later, the name Allison Avenue Baptist Church was given. The first pastor was Rev. W.M. Courson, who served until 1908. Seats for 200 parishioners were made available in February, 1904, and in the same year a parsonage was built. In 1923, it became necessary to enlarge the church and a two-story addition was built.
The growth of the church was the culmination of a dream. Others, having caught that dream, began a missionary program in Canonsburg, and by 1906 the First Baptist Church of Canonsburg was formally organized. Later another mission outreach became the First Baptist Church in Bentleyville.
In March 1991, a study was made of the church and it was determined there was a need of additional classrooms, a larger parking lot, a nursery, and more. Committees were formed and church members were informed as to the needs of the church. On December 28, 1994 property was purchased on Cameron Road for the purpose of building a new church. With the Lord's help, the last service was held at Allison Avenue Baptist Church on January 16, 2000, and the first service held at the new church, now known as ABUNDANT LIFE BAPTIST CHURCH.
During the years since, many different ministries have been active in the church and in the community. Our children's and youth programs are very well attended and there are many opportunities for worship, fellowship, discipleship, and more at the church. The Christian Education Department is strong with trained teachers and nursery care workers. Our choir and praise team continually adds spiritual enrichment to our worship services.
In 2018 we expanded our building to meet the need for additional Christian Education and administrative office space.
It is the hope of the congregation and leadership of the church that we will be known for our love and the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as we live the abundant life!